3 MBA Application Tips...

|
I started my MBA this January at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. In lieu of my move to Chicago-land, I am transferring to Northern Illinois University this fall! (WHOOP WHOOP.) Although I went through the MBA/graduate school application process less than a year ago, I forgot how much of a pain in the behind the whole application process is; Resume, Personal Statement, GMAT scores, 2 Letters of Recommendation and an Application were all the things I had to submit when applying to different Grad programs. So...I'll offer a few Grad School Applications tips:)

GMAT:
The GMAT was a nightmare to me! Not only was the test entirely too long but it was a comprehensive exam of basically everything that you learned from 4th grade until college, seriously. My best advice is to start studying early (you'll need the time), attend a course or prep session to help you understand the structure of the exam/how to do well, use the practice exams online offered by Kaplan, Pearson and others and purchase a study book to help you understand the type of questions you'll need to know/strategies for coming up with an answer.

Personal Statement:
A personal statements should be constructed to reflect your personality. It should include:
  • Career Goals; short and long-term
  • Why you want a MBA? Or other grad degree
  • What do you have to offer? What can you bring to the school?
  • Summary of your body of work
  • Accomplishments/Achievements/Awards given
My statement was very lively. Although you need to ensure it is well written you don't want to bore the committee by being too drab or impersonal.

Resume:
Tailor you resume like you're applying for a dream job! Be specific about action items and results that you've achieved in your career.

Most importantly when you're applying for grad schools don't forget to make note of application deadlines. You always want to submit an application packet a few days prior to the deadline!

Hope this helps you on your quest for an Advanced Degree!

Oh and don't be confused...I am MICHIGAN STATE SPARTAN until I die! I bleed green:)

0 comments: